L'Association des Hebert du Monde
[The Association of Heberts of the World]
Membership Application   Meeting News   La Gazette HEBERT   HEBERT Reunion

La Gazette HEBERT

Volume 1999 - Issue 11                   Abbeville, Louisiana                     March 1999
      The April 11 Jambalaya Tickets are on sale.  We need to get these out to our local members.  Please call Gary Hebert at 318-898-1661 for your tickets.  Several of our supporters have already picked up theirs and sales are really going well.   Pitch-in— we need to sell the 5oo+  that are printed.  Pickup dinners only, at a very reasonable price, $5.00 per plate.
* * * ** 
Next Hebert Association Meeting
(Members  & non-Members invited)
Saturday, March 13, 11:00 a.m.
Golden Corral Restaurant 
(Hwy 14 By-pass, Abbeville)
Dutch treat: lunch buffet. $7 (includes drink & tax)
seniors eat for less
* * * * * 
Proud Sponsors of the 1999 Hébert Reunion
(*New Additions*)
Fred Broussard Plumbing- -Maurice
Paul Hébert, Attorney at Law- -Lafayette
Shucks, “The Louisiana Seafood House”- -Abbeville
Vermilion Chemical & Janitorial Sup.- -Abbeville
Robies Food Center- -Abbeville
Hébert’s Specialty Meats, L.L.C- -Maurice.
Wayne Hébert, State Farm Insurance- -Abbeville
*Larry Hébert’s Super Foods- -Kaplan*
*Weldon Granger, Attorney at Law- -Houston*
*”Crow” Hébert’s Abbeville Tree Service*
For more information on becoming a Sponsor, please call  (318-893-2381 )

(by Woody Hébert is continued from La Gazette 10)
     The whereabouts of Joseph Pépin in Acadia can only be speculated by following the census of his parents. He is first listed  in Louisiana in the 1766 census of The  Militia and Inhabitants of the Colony of Louisiana at the District of La Pointe, which was located near present-day Breaux Bridge.  Many of these settlers quickly dispersed after the death toll from an epidemic began to mount in June, 1765.  By March, 1766, thirty seven refugees established themselves at Cotê Gelée (the area between present day Pilette and Broussard).  Joseph Pépin may have later joined these settlers, because records show the land he first owned was on nearby Vermilion River.
     On February 25, 1765, the first Acting Governor of Louisiana, Charles-Philippe Aubry, dispatched official correspondence to the Duke of Choiseul-Stanville, Secretary of the French Navy, that 200 Acadians—men, women, and children repelled by the climate of Saint-Domingue (Puerto Rico)—had just disembarked here.  These Acadians, led by Joseph Broussard dit Beausoleil, had departed Halifax, Nova Scotia, in November, 1764, for Saint-Domingue and had changed ship at that sugar island and sailed to New Orleans, Louisiana.  The correspondence of April 17, 1765, orders Louis Andry, the royal engineer and surveyor, to leave the city with the Acadian families and go to the district of the Attakapas.  Mr. Andry would then let the Acadians choose the most suitable site for the establishment of a village where they wished to be reunited.  The group settled in the St. Martinville-Loreauville area along Bayou Teche, the center of “la Nouvelle Acadie,” as it was designated by the curé of the “Post des Attakapas,” Fr. Jean-Francois de Civray, in the parish register of his mission church.
     Joseph Pépin and some of his family and relatives may have been included in the first group that came to Louisiana with Joseph Beausoleil.  The Hébert group has been traced as living in the same communities from the time of the Memramcook census of 1752 through the Attakapas census of April 9, 1766.  Louise, Joseph Pépin’s sister, married Beausoleil’s son, Claude Broussard. 
     In the 1771 census of the Attakapas, Joseph Pépin is listed as 23 years of age and living with his sister Theotiste (m. 1753-Jean-Baptiste dit Cobit Hebert), his brother Jean-Charles 19, and his sister Louise 17.   He must have married shortly after, because on April 25, 1771, he  married Madeleine Trahan, daughter of Jean Trahan and deceased Marguerite Broussard, in St. Martinville by Fr. Irenee of Point Coupee.  Witnesses: Jean Berard, Grevemberg (probably Augustin), Gaignard, and Mercier (probably Francois). (SM Ch.:  Folio A1, p. 10)
 In the census of 1774 Pépin is listed with his wife, Madeleine Trahan, with one son, Joseph, and one daughter, Adelaide.  Four years later in 1777, Pépin is listed as 28 years of age, with his wife Madeleine, also 28, along with two sons, Joseph 5, Agricole 1, and one daughter, Adelaide 3.  In the census of 1803 Pépin is listed without Madeleine (she died on January 27, 1803). To be continued in La Gazette #12.
Note by Russell Gaspard:  Joseph Pépin was a soldier in the Attakapas Militia on May 1, 1777.   His descendants may qualify for membership to the DAR or SAR.  His name can be found on page 290 of the Churchill Book.  (For more information on membership to the SAR & DAR contact Sue Butaud 318-937-5296).

Le Coin Français -Barbara Hébert 
     Les projets sont bien en marche pour la réunion des Hébert qu aura lieu à Abbeville le 6 et 7 Août, 1999.  Les membres de l’administration et les différents Comités se sont réunis le 23 janvier pour discuter leurs projects et de mettre en place le programme pour la réunion.  On espère d’avoir en place le programme definitif par le mois de mai.
     L’Association des Hébert du Monde aura une vente de Jambalaya le 11 avril pour une collecte de fonds pour amasser assez de fonds pour aider à couvrir les frais de la réunion.  Les billets son $5.oo par dîner.  Ils seront servis (il faut passer les prendre) de 11 heures à une heure (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) à la place du K. C. Hall, 202 West Vermilion, Abbeville, Louisiana.  Les membres locaux qui voudraient vendre des billets doivent contacter Gary Hébert.  Si tous nos membres locaux vendent des billets à leurs familles et à leurs amis, on pourra réaliser un beau profit.
     Un grand merci à nos sponsors de la Réunion des Hébert: Fred Broussard—Plomberie, Paul Hébert—Avocat, Shucks—Restaurant, Vermilion Chemical and Janitorial Supplies—(Produits Chimique et de Nettoyage), Robies—Supermarche, Hébert Specialty Meats—Boucherie, Wayne  Hébert—Assurance “State Farm,”Larry’s—Supermarche, et Weldon Granger—Avocat.
     Pour renseignements pour devenir un de nos sponsors, veuillez téléphoner (318-893-2381).
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
     Le 10 février l’Alliance Culturelle et Historique d’Abbeville a célébré le premier anniversaire de son ouverture.  Beaucoup de personnes sont venues pour montrer leur support et fièrte en ce center.  Ils ont visité l’exposition d’art mise en place par le Conseil des Arts et ils ont pu se rendre compte du talent qui existe dans notre paroisse Vermilion.  Aussi bien que le Conseil des Arts, il y avait des expositions par la Confrérie de l’Omelette Gèante, le Centre Acadien, et la Société Historique de Vermilion.  M. Curtis Joubert, associé avec Franco-Fête, a parlê au groupe de notre patrimoine français et des activités qui aura lieu pendant toute l’année en Louisiane.  L’état de Louisiane attend des millions de touristes francophones au cours de l’année.
     Il y avait une reception au Café Comeaux (CC’s) après la célébration à l’Alliance Culturelle.
 Abbeville est très fiëre de cette Alliance, et pendant l’année l’Alliance a eu environ 3.000 visiteurs, parmi eux beaucoup de visteurs des pays francophones. 
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
     Abbeville vous attend pour la Réunion des Hébert pour le Congrès Mondial!  Venez nous voir, et laissez le bon temps rouler!  

“Gateway to the Gulf”
“the Most quaint town in Acadiana”
“some Place Special on the Bayou”

     Abbeville, which hugs the Vermilion Bayou, is a curious mixture of French, Acadian, Spanish, and American Culture.
     Named after Abbeville, France, the home of Abbeville’s founder, Pere (Father) Antoine Desire Megret, Abbeville has worn its cultural mixture well.  However, there is another belief that perhaps Abbeville received its name from the word abbe  (French for “priest”) and ville (French for “town”).  Pere Megret was born May 23, 1797, and was Capucian missionary.
     Pere Megret arrived in Louisiana in 1842 and was sent to Vermilionville (now Lafayette) as pastor of St. John’s Parish.   His duties carried him to distances far removed from his first assignment.  He traveled about in a pirogue (canoe).  Often he was away for weeks ministering to whoever was in need.  On one of these trips he came upon Vermilion Bayou and to the land south of the Teche.
     The town of Abbeville owes its existence indirectly to the revolt of St. John’s Church, and directly to the pastor against whom the revolt was raised.  The Parish of St. Mary Magdalen of Abbeville owes its existence directly to both.  It was customary at that time for many parishes to be managed by boards of trustees or wardens, representing civil corporation, designated by the French term of “Marguilliers.” In many of these church parishes, the laymen’s corporation and the pastor worked together in harmony.  In others, the wardens sought to make themselves masters of the church  and of the pastor as well  and to direct everything, while they regarded the pastor as a hired hand.  This was the situation at Lafayette when Pere Megret arrived.  Dissatisfied with such conditions, Pere Megret (1842) began to devote his time to traveling to other spots.  He reached Perry’s Bridge (South of current day Abbeville) on one of his journeys.  Contacting a Mr. Robert Perry, who owned land in and around Perry’s Bridge, he was given a site which was not exactly suitable to Pere Megret.  So the dissatisfied priest then made arrangements to purchase another site.  On July 25, 1843, Pere Megret purchased from a Mr. Joseph Leblanc a tract of land in the Parish of Lafayette (now  Vermilion) on the Bayou Vermilion, measuring four arpents by forty arpents deep.  It is interesting to note that the price was 900 dollars, payable 400 dollars in twelve months and 500 dollars in eighteen months.  The land bought is that portion of Abbeville lying between St. Victor Street on the north, Lafayette Street  on the south, and extending from Bayou Vermilion to the public road on the eastern limits of Abbeville.
     The residence of Mr. Leblanc was converted into a church and presbytery.  

History of Vermilion Parish Louisiana
(to be continued)  

Vermilion Parish
“The Most Cajun Place on Earth”

     Statistics from the 1990 census state that Vermilion Parish is the most “Cajun place” on Earth.  Authentic Cajun culture can be witnessed through the daily activities of its residents. 
     On your journey through Vermilion Parish, you will encounter expansive fields of rice, sugar cane, soybean and cattle.  Look for the alligator, crawfish, sheep, and emu farms as well.  World-renowned hybrid dayllies, touting one of the oldest blood lines, are also cultivated here.
     Vital to Vermilion’s cattle industry, the Cajun cowboy is a living legend in his own right. The Cajun cowboy’s love of the land and pride of his herd can be appreciated as he masterfully steers hundreds of head of cattle  Twice yearly, tourists can experience these cattle drives either on horseback or aboard wagon trains.
     Driving the back roads of Vermilion Parish, you are destined to spot some exceptional birds.  A myriad of colorful, eccentric, and exquisite birds mesmerize even a novice bird watcher.
     Through your explorations and adventures, you are sure to find a treasure that you will want to bring home:  art, antiques, authentic Cajun foods and products, curios, homemade jellies, jams, and crafts. 

La Gazette HÉBERT
Official Newsletter of The Association of Héberts of the World

c/o Russell Gaspard, Editor P. O. Box 375 Abbeville, LA 70511-0375 Fax: 318-893-4119

Return to the:L'Association des Hebert du Monde Main Page