Acadian-Cajun Genealogy & History » Français  
Riviere aux Canards
     This area first appeared as a separate listing in the census in 1701.  Prior to that, Canards and other settlements in the area were generally known as Minas. 
    The map section (circa 1756) to the right shows the rivers of the Minas Basin.  Counter-clockwise, from the top left, you can see Riviere Pereau, Riviere Vieux Habitant, Riviere Canard, Riviere Habitant, and Riviere Gaspereau.
   
     In 1701, the following families were counted at Riviere aux Canards.
       Pierre TERRIOT, his wife, 9 girls, 9 arpents, 20 cattle, 6 sheep, 12 hogs, 1 gun. 
       Germain TERRIOT. his wife, 5 boys, 1 girl, 20 arpents, 16 cattle, 18 sheep, 14 hogs, 1 gun. 
       Jean COMEAU, his wife, 6 girls, 4 arpents, 10 cattle, 8 sheep, 8 hogs, 1 gun. 
       Jean TERRIOT, his wife, 2 boys, 3 girls, 8 arpents, 12 cattle, 4 sheep, 10 hogs, 1 gun. 
       Martin AUCOIN (father), his wife, 1 boy, 10 arpents, 15 cattle, 12 sheep, 8 hogs, 1 gun. 
       Martin AUCOIN (son), his wife, 1 girl, 6 arpents, 8 cattle, 3 sheep, 4 hogs, 1 gun. 
       Rene LANDRY, his wife, 1 boy, 2 girls, 13 arpents, 12 cattle, 13 sheep, 6 hogs. 1 gun.

     The area was counted as part of Minas in the next 2 censuses (1703, 1707).  In the final census taken in the area (1714), we see the area resurface as a census location.  The following were listed as residents of Riviere aux Canards in 1714.
       Widow of Etienne HEBERT, 3 sons, 1 daughter. 
       Jean COMMEAU and wife, 4 sons, 6 daughters. 
       Claude TERRIOT and wife, 3 sons, 2 daughters. 
       Antoine AUCOIN and wife. 
       Rene AUCOIN and wife, 1 son. 
       Pierre BREAU and wife, 3 sons, 5 daughters. 
       Francois BREAU and wife, 3 sons, 3 daughters. 
       Jean TERRIOT, widower, 3 sons, 5 daughters. 
       Widow AUCOIN, 2 sons. 
       Pierre THIBODEAU and wife, 2 sons, 3 daughters. 
       Rene LANDRY and wife, 6 sons, 3 daughters. 

     The parish around the Canard area was known as St. Joseph.  The church building itself was at Chipman's Corner.  It was destroyed at the time of the deportations.  In the following decade, a Congregationalist-Presbyterian meeting house was built (1767-68) near the site (and stood till 1874). 

     The river is still called the Canard River to this day.  The settlement was located along both sides of this river.

Priests of St. Joseph Parish
   
Jean Baptiste Desenclaves
Miniac
Girard
Le Maire
1740-summer 1742
1742-1748
summer 1750-April 1751
fall 1753-Aug. 10, 1755
    
LINKS
- Google Map of the Canard River area

View the Canard area in a larger map

Acadia: 1632-1653 * 1654-1670 * 1671-1689 * 1690-1709 * 1710-1729 * 1730-1748 * 1749-1758
May God bless you.
Copyright © 1997-09 Tim Hebert